Complain about a councillor or co-opted member

If you are unhappy about the way a councillor or co-opted member has behaved and believe that he or she has breached the council's Code of Conduct you can complain to the council.

What you need to do

If you want to complain about the conduct of a councillor or co-opted member you must submit your complaint in writing to:

The Monitoring Officer
c/o Democratic Services,
Cambridgeshire County Council
Shire Hall,
Castle Hill,

Or email:

The monitoring officer will review all complaints received by the authority and shall, in consultation with the independent person, undertake an initial assessment to determine, whether the complaint is admissible and, if so, to decide whether:

  • it warrants investigation
  • it may be suitable for alternative resolution without investigation
  • it does not warrant further action

Gillian Holmes and Grant Osbourn have been appointed by the Council to the role of Independent Person until 15 October 2022. The arrangements for dealing with allegations of breaches of the Members' Code of Conduct and a flowchart outlining the process can be accessed below: