Deafness, hearing loss, vision loss and dual sensory loss

Sensory Services

We work with adults who are:

  • deafblind
  • deaf
  • hard of hearing
  • severely sight impaired
  • sight impaired
  • experiencing visual loss

We keep a register of people in Cambridgeshire with sight or hearing impairment or dual sensory loss.

We provide information, services and support:

  • rehabilitation
  • access to the environment
  • mobility and orientation training
  • independent living skills
  • lighting and advice on low vision aids
  • communication
  • equipment
  • communication
  • alternative access formats
  • advocacy
  • access to work or training opportunities
  • access to benefits and entitlements
  • direct access to services in British Sign Language or Sign Supported English
  • referral to specialist provider agencies

(For support for people aged 0-25 years with additional needs, see our information on the local offer)

Some people are born deaf and can communicate using British Sign Language, for example. For others, hearing loss usually develops gradually, although it can occur suddenly.

General signs of hearing loss can include:

  • difficulty hearing other people clearly and misunderstanding what they say
  • asking people to repeat themselves
  • people telling you that you have the radio or television on very loud

You can get more information about the symptoms of hearing loss at NHS Choices.

Contact your GP if you are worried about your hearing. If you lose your hearing suddenly, in one or both ears, you must see your GP as soon as possible.

Where can I get further information and support?

Once your hearing loss has been assessed by your GP, you may want more information. You can contact us using the contact details below. There are also local and national services that you can access, and equipment and devices that you can buy.

Cambridgeshire Hearing Help offers free advice about hearing loss. There are weekly drop-in sessions where NHS hearing aid users can get free batteries and hearing aid care. They also have equipment that can help you to hear the television or telephone.

Cambridgeshire Deaf Association supports deaf people living in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. They arrange social events and groups for deaf people. They offer a befriending service and provide independent advocacy for deaf people. Their staff and advocates are fully qualified in British Sign Language.

Action on Hearing Loss has information, support and advice for deaf and hearing impaired people and their families.

British Deaf Association aims to achieve equality for deaf people. This is through community empowerment, membership and campaigning.

Any decline in your sight should be checked by an optician. Signs that you need to seek help include:

  • colours look a bit washed out
  • you’re finding it difficult to judge the depth of steps
  • straight lines look wobbly
  • you find it hard to read
  • you're struggling to see road signs when you’re driving

These signs are not just part of getting older, they are telling you that something is wrong.

Everyone should visit their optician every two years. Lots of people can get free eye tests, so find out if you're eligible.

You find out more about blindness and vision loss at NHS Choices.

Where can I get further information and support?

Once your sight loss has been assessed by your optician, you may want more information.

You can contact us for information and advice (see below for contact details).

There are also local and national services that you can access and equipment and devices that you can buy.

Cam Sight offers information, advice and practical support to people of all ages with a visual impairment. They provide emotional support and counselling. There are monthly social groups in villages across Cambridgeshire offering information and advice. They also provide visits at home by a community team and volunteers to provide help and company. Their two Low Vision Centres have a wide range of equipment, advice and training. Groups for children provide fun, skills and opportunities for parents/carers to support each other.

Huntingdonshire Society for the Blind is an independent, local charity dedicated to supporting people with sight impairment who live in Huntingdonshire.

Royal National Institute of Blind People (RNIB) provides practical and emotional support for anyone affected by sight loss.

Deafblindness is a combination of sight and hearing loss that affects your ability to communicate, access information and get around. It is sometimes known as dual sensory loss.

Visit your GP if you think your hearing and/or eyesight may be getting worse.

You can find more information about the signs and symptoms of deafblindness at NHS Choices.

Where can I get further information and support?

Once your dual sensory loss has been assessed by your GP and/or optician, you may want more information.  You can contact us using the contact details below. There are also local and national services you can access, and equipment that you can buy.

Deafblind UK provides information, advice and support to deaf blind people, their family and carers. They have a free information helpline and provide peer support and befriending services.

Please also see other support services, under hearing loss and visual impairment.

Contact us


Telephone: 0345 045 5202
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday