Details you need to provide at the appointment
- Date, place and time of the birth. The time will only be recorded if the baby is one of twins, triplets etc
- Whether the baby is a boy or girl
- The forenames and surname by which the baby is to be brought up
- Forenames and surname and any other names used by the father or parent (where the details are to be entered in the register)
- Date and place of birth of the father or parent
- Occupation of the father or parent at the time of baby's birth (if not employed, the occupation last followed)
- Forenames and surname and any other names used of the mother, including maiden surname
- Date and place of birth of the mother
- Occupation or previous occupation of the mother
- Date of marriage if applicable
- Number of previous children by the mother.
- It will be helpful to take along some documents with you to confirm the details you are giving to the registrar. Please bring any of the following: passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, driving licences, council tax bills and change of name deeds. Please don't worry if you can't find documents or forget to bring them - the registration can still go ahead
Certificates you will receive
Birth certificates cost £11 each, please take your debit / credit card with you for payment. If you need to apply for certificates at any stage after attending your appointment, please go to our certificates and family history webpage.
Any correction requested to a birth certificate will have to be accompanied by a non-refundable fee of £75 or £90 ( dependent on whether the correction can be done locally or has to be referred to General Register Office). Any correction application must be made in the district where the event occurred. We therefore request that you check the register page very carefully before signing to avoid the need to make corrections
Married parents automatically have joint legal parental responsibility as do unmarried parents where both attend the registration and sign the register.
There are occasions where scientific tests for DNA are required. The Registration Service will only accept DNA tests from government accredited testing companies as listed on GOV.UK.
Tel: 0345 045 1363
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday