Due to covid-19 restrictions all courses, apart from 'first aid training', will be delivered online.
We hope you find the courses on offer useful and enjoyable.
- If there is a course that isn’t listed then please contact our training team. We can consider access to this or similar courses for you with another training provider or through our e-learning provision.
- If you want to attend a particular course but cannot make the date and time available, or need to attend out of hours please let us know.
All the training courses provided are aligned to the legislation and guidance that the Fostering Service works to. This is covered in each of the courses so participants are aware of them. We work in partnership with colleagues in Social Care, Health, Education and Specialist Services to provide a wide variety of training for you.
Fostering service training programme 2020-21
All new foster carers have been expected to achieve the Training Support and Development Standards within 12 months of their approval. The Training team and your support worker will assist you in achieving the aforementioned certificate in order to help you maintain your registration.
There are a wide range of courses available under the broader categories of:
- Abuse and Trauma
- Attachment & Behaviour Management
- Child Development
- Drugs & Medication
- First Aid
- Keeping Safe
- Life Skills and Preparation for the Future
Booking your place
You can now book directly onto the course via our online booking system. Ideally we need an individual email per course applicant otherwise our system does not recognise them as distinct bookings.
All the courses are displayed over a number of pages, but you can also filter the results by the name of the course
- The landing page will display the first nine courses in date order (soonest first) on the first page, with option to browse more on further pages.
- You can also use the filter 'Any Event name' which will provide an A-Z list of course titles and filter the displayed results.
- Select which course you wish to attend by clicking reserving a ticket
- Please fill in the boxes with your details, telephone number and email address etc
- Click next after ticking box to accept data protection policy
- Review your booking and then press confirm.
- You will receive an email confirmation and then a reminder two weeks prior to the course.
Please bring a copy of the email confirmation with you when attending the course.
If you are unable to attend the course then please let us know as soon as possible. Call 01480 377663 (Business Support Training Team) or email email@example.com.
Fostering is full of unpredictable events, but an empty seat on a course costs money and causes disappointment for all, so please cancel if you know you cannot attend. We can then offer your place to somebody else.
As well as our training programme, you can also access some online learning run by other teams or external providers, but are open to carers. Please see the relevant information on how to access or book.
Foster carer support groups
Foster carer support groups are a well established, and well attended forum for peer support, social links and opportunities for additional learning. By attending support groups, foster carers get the opportunity to meet colleagues who understand the complexity and challenges, but also the amazing rewards and above all, the difference that fostering makes to children and young people’s lives.
As an approved foster carer, you should receive a hyperlink to attend the virtual groups during lockdown. The links to either Microsoft Teams or Skype meetings are sent out approximately 1 week before the groups take place.
Business Support – Training
Telephone: 01480 377663
Fostering Service (Training) Box No: SCO2101
Scott House, 5 George Street, Huntingdon,
Cambridgeshire, PE29 3AD