Safeguarding children and child protection

Child protection involves taking steps to safeguard children and young people at risk or suffering from physical, emotional or sexual abuse.

What should you do if you think a child is being abused

If you think you or the child is in immediate danger and needs urgent help, please call the police on 999.

Please contact us if you are:

  • Concerned that a child may be suffering physical, sexual or emotional abuse or is being neglected
  • A child or young person and you are being abused or neglected
  • A parent or carer and you feel you are harming your child or are close to doing so

Reporting safeguarding concerns


If you are a professional you can report a safeguarding concern on the Joint Peterborough and Cambridgeshire Safeguarding website via the referral form.


If you are not a professional involved with the child or family, you do not have to give your name and your conversation will be treated confidentially.

0345 045 5203 (8-6pm Monday to Friday)   01733 234 724 (out of hours)

Find out more about how the council delivers our safeguarding services, and how they work alongside District teams.

What is child abuse?

A child may experience more than one type of abuse or neglect.

Cambridgeshire Local Safeguarding Children's Board (LSCB) has a range of information for parents and for practitioners as well as more information about MASH and Early Help Hub.

Further information

Find out more about safeguarding people who may be susceptible to radicalisation on the Let's talk about it website.

You can also get advice and help from NSPCC for all concerns around abuse and neglect, and from Stop It Now! for concerns around sexual abuse.

Children and young people can also contact Childline for support and Youthoria for more information and local contacts.

Worried about an adult or older person?

Supporting a child who has witnessed domestic abuse