Advice for countryside stewardship

Agri-environment or environmental stewardship schemes can offer payments for protecting cropmark and other archaeological sites through transforming arable land to grassland and also rewarding the sensitive management of existing earthworks.

Countryside stewardship is administered by the Rural Payments Agency, for information and application packs, please visit the appropriate Countryside Stewardship page on the website. The council provides advice on stewardship schemes via applications submitted to the Rural Payments Agency. This advice can help you identify sites of interest on your farm or land and show how the conservation of historic features do not need to conflict with good agricultural practice.

The council also provides advice for woodland grant schemes.

For more information please contact Historic Environment Team (HET) at or on 01223 728564.