There are several different types of rights of way and you have the right to walk along all of them. Some rights of way are also open to horse riders, cyclists or motorists. Zoom into the map and click on the path that is of interest to view more information.

If the map does not load, please view it on the My Cambridgeshire website.

You can report a problem on a public right of way online by submitting a highway fault report below.

Some public rights of way may be subject to seasonal or permanent restrictions. To find out more, see our Rights of way restrictions webpage.

Public Rights of Way signage

Footpath marker

Footpaths - let you go by foot only and are marked by a yellow arrow

Bridleway marker

Bridleways - let you go by foot, horse or bike and are marked by a blue arrow

Byways open to all traffic marker

By ways open to all traffic - let you travel by any form of transport, including motor vehicles and are usually marked by a red arrow.

Restricted byway marker

Restricted byways - let you travel by any form of transport that doesn’t have a motor and are marked by a purple arrow.

Permissive path marker

Permissive paths are not legal rights of way, but are routes which the landowner has agreed the public can use and are marked by a black arrow

To manage, improve and promote a Public Rights of Way network as an integral part of a wider transport system, we developed a Rights of Way Improvement plan. This forms part of our wider Cambridgeshire Local Transport Plan and can be viewed on our Local Transport Plan webpage.

Information for landowners

Farmers and other landowners can learn about their responsibilities in the rights of way guide

The below Public Rights of Way Guide was published in 2010 and some information is now out of date. The County Council recovers the costs for many of the services it now provides and you should contact the Definitive Map team ( if you require any assistance with rights of way matters. The document still does however contain details of general principles that you may find useful.

Size: 630KBFile format: pdf

If you are involved in development that affects public rights of way you can download the guidance for planners and developers

Public Rights of Way commercial enquiries 

For commercial companies and individuals wishing to apply for a highway, public rights of way or common land and town/village green search please go to Highway Searches.