Trading Standards Service privacy notice

Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Trading Standards Service is a shared service between Cambridgeshire County Council and Peterborough City Council.

We have a wide range of statutory responsibilities and duties to protect local consumers in relation to the goods and services they buy and use and also provides advice, guidance and support to businesses to help them understand and comply with their legal obligations. We may also undertake investigations into criminal offences such as those relating to rogue traders.

What information do we hold?

We hold and process details including but not limited to

  • Members of the public who have contacted us for assistance, advice or guidance
  • Individuals who have contacted the Citizens Advice Consumer Service who have then shared this information with us
  • Information about individuals who run businesses in Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
  • Individuals who have applied for a license to store explosives such as fireworks.

Information we collect in this regard may include but not be limited to :

  • Name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • E-mail address

You may be asked for this information over the telephone, by e-mail, via an on-line survey or in person by an officer from the Trading Standards Service.

We may also hold additional information which has been gathered during enforcement action or where we are making enquiries that may result in enforcement action in accordance with our statutory duties. This may include, but not be limited to, information about the following:

  • Date of birth
  • Criminal convictions or cautions, warnings and orders
  • Details about health
  • Financial information and information about income
  • Details of on-line accounts
  • Household members or associates and living arrangements
  • Employment history
  • National Insurance Number
  • Video and / or still images
  • Vehicle details – including insurance and registered keeper details
  • Fingerprint data
  • Benefit claim information
  • HMRC data applications
  • Travel history
  • Identification documents such as driving licences, passport or ID card details

Where do we collect information from?

In addition to collecting information from members of the public, Councillors and MPs and businesses, we also collect and process information from the following:

  • Other departments or services within Cambridgeshire County Council or Peterborough City Council
  • Other Local Authorities
  • Other law enforcement bodies and their associated organisations
  • National Trading Standards and its associated groups
  • Central Government departments and executive agencies
  • Community groups, consumer groups and/or business groups
  • Citizens Advice Consumer Service (England, Wales, NI) / Consumer Advice Direct (Scotland)
  • Rights owners (e.g. trademark holders)
  • Legal representatives and other professional service providers
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • European Consumer Centre
  • Public Health
  • Charities
  • Trade or professional bodies

Who do we share information with?

Where we are legally permitted to, we may share information with the following:

  • Other departments or services within Cambridgeshire County Council or Peterborough City Council
  • Other Local Authorities
  • Consumers or Businesses
  • Other law enforcement agencies and bodies
  • Courts Service
  • Fire and Rescue Service
  • Government departments and executive agencies
  • Legal representatives
  • Rights owners
  • European Consumer Centre
  • Public Health

Why do we have the information and what do we use it for?

We use this information to enable us to respond to enquiries and carry out our legal duties, as well as providing advice and guidance to businesses to help them understand and meet their legal obligations. We also use this information to make enquiries and investigate offences and undertake enforcement and court proceedings.

Where we process personal data under the UK GDPR then our lawful basis is public task as per Article 6 (1) (e). We also may process special category data and where we do then our lawful basis is substantial public interest as per Article 9 (2) (g) of the UK GDPR. This requires us to identify a condition in Schedule 1 Part 2 of the Data Protection Act 2018 which, depending on the circumstances, will be statutory purposes (condition 6), preventing or detecting unlawful acts (10), protecting the public (11) or regulatory requirements (12).

Where we investigate criminal offences, then we will process information in line with the law enforcement purpose as stated in section 31 of Part 3 Chapter 1 of the Data Protection Act 2018.

Information is stored safely and securely within IT systems and only the details needed are used.

How long do we keep information for?

Information gathered is kept only for as long as needed and in line with our retention policy. Once information is no longer needed or the period for retention expires the data is destroyed.

You can find out more information about how your data is used here

Your Rights

Under Data Protection Legislation you have the following rights:

  • Right of access (to receive a copy of your personal data)
  • Right to rectification (to request data is corrected if it is inaccurate)
  • Right to erasure (to request that data is deleted)
  • Right to restrict processing (to request we don’t use your data in a certain way)
  • Right to data portability (in some cases, you can ask to receive a copy of your data in a commonly-used electronic format so that it can be given to someone else)
  • Right to object (generally to make a complaint about any aspect of our use of your data)
  • Right to have explained if there will be any automated decision-making, including profiling, based on your data and for the logic behind this to be explained to you.

Any such request can be submitted to the Data Protection Officer. Whether we can agree to your request will depend on the specific circumstances and if we cannot then we will explain the reasons why.

If you are unhappy with any aspect of how your information has been collected and/or used, you can make a complaint to the Data Protection Officer.

You can also report your concerns to the Information Commissioner’s Office.