Highway licences and permits

Application forms are available below to obtain the specific licences or permits required when working on the highway.

Failure to obtain the necessary permissions may result in enforcement action being taken against you.

Only registered companies can apply for hoarding, scaffolding and skip permits. If you would like to become registered, please email street.works@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.

Skip permit

Only registered skip companies can apply for skip permits.

Skips are not allowed to be placed on waiting restrictions (yellow lines). Skips may be permitted in resident permit holder bays or pay and display bays but additional charges will apply.

To apply and pay for a permit to place a skip on the highway, please complete the online form. Applications by phone or email are no longer accepted.

The current charge for a skip permit is as stated on the application form and is for 14 days. This payment is taken during the online application.

It can take up to five working days to process an application for a skip permit.

Please read the terms and conditions document below before completing the online form.

Skip permit terms and conditions - April 20221.01MBpdf
Size: 1.01MBFile format: pdf

Scaffolding and hoardings licences

You need a licence to place scaffolding or hoardings on the highway.

Only registered companies can apply for scaffolding and hoardings licences. If you would like to become a registered company, please email street.works@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.

To apply and pay for a licence to place scaffolding on the highway, please complete the online form below.

To apply and pay for a licence to place hoardings on the highway, please complete the online form below.

The current charge for both scaffolding and hoardings licences is as stated on the application form and is per street placed per 30 days. This payment is taken during the online application.

It can take up to seven working days to process an application for a licence. Applications by phone, email or paper are no longer accepted.

Licence renewals use the same online form as for new applications.

Licence to serve food and drink on the highway

If you intend to serve food and drink from your business on any part of the public highway, you need to apply for a licence. With the introduction of additional legislation, there are now two available routes of application. Please see below for information on each process, including how to apply.

Tables and Chairs Licence

The setting up of pavement cafes on the public highway under Part VIIA, Section 115 (A to K) of the Highways Act 1980 remains the responsibility of the Highways Authority of Cambridgeshire County Council. Applicants can obtain further information on this process via the guidance notes and licence conditions below. Please direct any questions to Policy.andRegulation@cambridgeshire.gov.uk. Please complete our online form to apply and make the initial payment for a Tables and Chairs Licence.

Tables and chairs guidance notes158KBpdf
Size: 158KBFile format: pdf
Pavement licence conditions - May 2018150KBpdf
Size: 150KBFile format: pdf

Pavement Licence

Issued under the Business and Planning Act 2020.

The Government instigated a new ‘streamlined’ pavement licensing process designed to support businesses selling food and drink such as cafes, pubs and restaurants.

The introduction of a temporary fast-track process initially allowed businesses to obtain permission from the local council for the placement of furniture such as tables and chairs on the pavement outside their premises in time for summer 2021.

The Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government has extended the duration of the temporary pavement licences for 12 months to 30 September 2022.

Businesses need to apply for a new licence if they wish to have one in place during the extended period from 30 September 2021. Licences will remain in place for up to a year, but not beyond 30 September 2022. The exact length of licences issued will vary between, and is at the discretion of, the licensing authorities. 

The Business and Planning Act 2020 legislation received Royal Assent on 22 July 2020 and came into force with immediate effect. Therefore district and city councils can issue the new fast track pavement licences with the Highway Authority as a consultee.

Please contact your local city or district council to apply for a licence under the fast track process:

Legislation Update

To support high street and town centre regeneration, the Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill (UK Parliament website) proposes to make permanent existing temporary measures on pavement licensing, via the Local Council. These measures streamline the process of applying for a licence to put furniture on the highway. If the bill is successful, the option to grant licences under the Highways Act will be withdrawn.

Whilst the new Bill will not affect any permission granted under section 115E of the Highways Act 1980 before the commencement date, we would advise you to consider the latest status of the Bill prior applying for your licence to ensure you choose the process which best meets your requirements.

Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders (TTRO) for road closures and speed reductions

If you need to reduce a speed limit or close a road or footway, you will need to apply for a temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). These can be arranged when it is necessary to temporarily control vehicular or pedestrian activity on a length of public highway.

Most commonly these are road closures arranged on behalf of the highway authority, utility companies and developers, but they can also apply for temporary speed limits, parking restrictions, movement orders and public events.

Mobile catering operators of roadside catering vehicles must get consent from the local Highways Office before starting to trade. You should be aware of and bear in mind the policy and guidance provided in the Highway Operation Standards.

Apply for or renew mobile catering vehicle consent - October 202074KBword
Size: 74KBFile format: word

Banners over the highway licence

To place a banner over a highway to publicise a charitable or community event, you will need a licence.

Banner over the highway application form - April 202281KBword
Size: 81KBFile format: word

Tower cranes licence

You need a licence for tower cranes or equipment that may 'oversail' the highway.

Tower crane and oversail application form - April 202282KBword
Size: 82KBFile format: word

Book a road space

If you want to work on the public highway, you need to book a road space. Make sure you include accurate descriptions and grid references.

Road space application form - April 202222KBword
Size: 22KBFile format: word

Temporary traffic lights

If you want to use temporary traffic lights, you will need to complete the application form below.

Temporary traffic lights application form - April 202214KBexcel
Size: 14KBFile format: excel

Private apparatus in the highway

You need a licence if you want to place or retain apparatus in the public highway, such as sewer connection pipes for example.

Street works licence application form - April 2022145KBword
Size: 145KBFile format: word

Planting on the highway licence

You need a licence if you want to maintain an area of highway verge adjacent to your premises.

Size: 54KBFile format: pdf

Public event on the highway

If you are planning an event that will take place on, or will affect, the highway, please see our highway events webpage.

Traffic counters on the highway

If you are using traffic counters on the highway, please complete the application form.

Traffic counters application form1 - November 2022154KBword
Size: 154KBFile format: word

Tourist Signing

Tourist attractions can apply and pay for brown tourist signing to direct the public to their business or facility. All applications are considered in accordance with our Tourist Signing Policy below.

To apply, please read the policy in full and then complete and return the application form.

A community can take action to fund the improvement independently.

Tourist signing policy - October 202068KBpdf
Size: 68KBFile format: pdf
PFHI Application form (Highway Projects) v167KBpdf
Size: 67KBFile format: pdf

Storage of materials on the highway licence

Visit the storage of materials on the highway licence page to apply online.

Street lighting attachment licence

If you would like to attach an item to a street light, such as a hanging basket, festive lighting or advertising, you will need a street lighting attachment licence. Find out more on our street lighting webpage.