Accessibility Options

It is really important that you are involved in all aspects of your care and planning for the future. You have a right to be involved and your Personal Adviser will seek your views and thoughts and what you want to happen.  

Care Leavers Forum and the Children in Care Council

  • The forum is a support and discussion group where young people can share their views on the service provided by the Leaving Care Team and how it could be improved. Transport can be provided to get you to activities and provide reward vouchers for your time and effort. 
  • The children in care council is involved in interviewing staff, supports the training of foster carers and social work students and is consulted on services and provision.

These are organised by the Participation Service who organise lots of groups and events and involve looked after children and care leavers in a range of activities.If you are interested in knowing more, ask your Personal Adviser or contact the Participation Service at: [email protected]

Mind of my Own (MOMO)

Mind of my Own is an app that is used by thousands of young people to talk about everyday problems they might be going through alongside bigger issues that are more difficult to deal with. The app offers a secure platform to communicate with professionals about your problems and get help and advice.

The app is totally free and can be downloaded onto your phone. You can control who you share your information with, and when. 


IMO is a voice for teenagers in care and for care leavers. It is somewhere they can share stories, experiences and achievements, get and give advice. IMO also share opportunities for care leavers, like jobs and apprenticeships, and give away loads of free stuff.


You may like to receive support from an independent advocate if you would like help in expressing your views, including in situations where you are unhappy about decisions or the care you receive. Independent advocates can inform you about your rights and help you to be heard in meetings. 

  • Cambridgeshire County Council work with a specialist advocacy agency called NYAS. You can contact them yourself either by phone – 0808 8081001 or you can email them on [email protected]
  • If you are an unaccompanied young person seeking asylum, you can also access specialist agencies for support. One of these is called the Refugee Council. You can contact them by phone - 020 7346 1134 or email:  [email protected]  

Your Personal Adviser can help you make contact with either of these agencies.

Mentoring and befriending children and young people in care

Would you like to volunteer to meet with a child or young person once a month to go out for social visits, share hobbies and interests and try new activities and mentor them.  As a care leaver (aged 21 or over) you will be able to offer unique support through your experience and knowledge of being in care, but above all, have fun together! For more information please visit our Independent Visitor page.

Your personal information / data

You have a right to see the information we keep about you, including the files and records written about you when you were in care and as a Care Leaver. Your Personal Adviser can support you to do this.

Alternatively, you might want to sort this out yourself. This type of request is known as a ‘subject access request’ and there is no charge. Contact the Data Protection Team on 01223 699 137 or email [email protected]. You will be asked to compete a form and provide proof of identification (ID) and information is normally made available within 40 working days.

Did you find this information useful?