Care leavers support
- are 16 to 25 year old, and
- were 'Looked After' by Cambridgeshire County Council (in care) for 13 weeks or more following your 16th birthday
you are entitled to care leavers support.
You can also qualify for support, if
- you were ‘looked after’ before a Special Guardianship Order was made
- you were privately fostered after the age of 16.
Support from your personal adviser
You can ask for support from your Personal Adviser up to the age of 25. Your Personal Adviser can help you to become independent, and offer information, advice and support when you leave care. Sometimes, the role of the Personal Adviser is undertaken by a Social Worker. The support you will receive will be recorded in a Pathway plan.
- For Care Leavers aged 16-17- the Local Authority must provide accommodation as well as support from a Personal Adviser. This does not apply once you are over 18.
- For Care Leavers aged 18-20 - there is a duty on the Local Authority to a Personal Adviser, create a Pathway Plan and visit you every 8 weeks.
- For Care Leavers aged 21-24 in Education - the support provisions remain the same as they are when you were 18-20.
- For Care Leavers aged 21-24 not in Education - you will need to request our support, our Leaving Care team will assess your needs. It may be that it is more suitable to help you access other organisations that can help you.
If you would like to speak to someone or need advice, please contact your Personal Adviser. If they are not available, or if you do not have a Personal Adviser or social worker, please call the duty worker. Telephone: 01480 372463 (9am to 5pm).
If an emergency occurs out of office hours, call the Emergency Duty Service. Telephone: 01733 234724. (out of office hours)
Feedback and complaints
If you are unhappy about any aspect of the support you receive, please talk to your Personal Adviser / Social Worker. They will want to help sort it out. If you would rather talk to someone else, you can ask to speak to their manager.
Alternatively, you can contact the Customer Care Team:
Children’s Services, FREEPOST Box SH1215, Shire Hall, Cambridge, CB3 0AP
Telephone: 01223 699 664
Text: 07795 092 404
Pathways4us - Cambridgeshire Local offer for Care leavers section