Accessibility Options

Care leavers support

If you are aged 16 to 25 and were 'Looked After' by Cambridgeshire County Council (in care) for 13 weeks or more following your 16th birthday, you are entitled to the care leavers support detailed in our local offer.

Some other young people also qualify for support, including those who were ‘looked after’ before a Special Guardianship Order was made and others who were privately fostered after the age of 16.

Ongoing support from your personal adviser

You can ask for support from your Personal Adviser up to the age of 25. Your Personal Adviser is there to help you to prepare to live independently and to offer information, advice and support after you leave care. Sometimes, the role of the Personal Adviser is undertaken by a Social Worker.  

If you would like to speak to someone or need advice, please contact your Personal Adviser.
If they are not available, or if you do not have a named worker, please call the duty worker.
Telephone: 01480 372463 (9am to 5pm).

If an emergency occurs out of office hours then the Emergency Duty Service can be contacted.
Telephone: 01733 234724.(out of office hours)

Pathway Plan

Your Pathway Plan is based on consultation with you and important people in your life. It details your needs, views and future goals and what support you will receive from us. We will review it with you regularly and agree any required changes. The amount of support that you receive from your Personal Adviser will depend on what you want and your circumstances. 

Because most young people still live at home with their families at this age, we would normally encourage you to stay in your care placement until you are 18, unless you are able to return home, or move to live with friends or family, before this age. However, as long as you qualify you will still be entitled to support and services if you leave ‘care’ before this age. 

Whilst you are under 18 and still a ‘Looked After Child’, we have a legal duty to see you regularly, usually at least every six weeks. This has to involve a face-to-face visit but we can come and see you where you would like to meet us. This could be at your home, college or wherever you choose. 

When you are between 18 and 21 years of age, we will normally see you every 8 weeks, though this can be more often if you want us to. As an adult, you do not have to accept support, but we want to assist you in any way we can and will discuss with you how best to do this.

When you are over 21 years of age, we recognise that you are an adult and may not want to hear from us much at all. If you are in education, we will continue to visit and support you. For example, if you are at university, we would be happy to visit you there, but you may prefer to see us in the holidays. We would still keep in contact with you during term time to make sure you are OK and, if we were worried about you, we might visit, buy you a coffee and offer you someone to talk to. 

Once you have received the Home Office decision on your asylum claim you will be issued with a biometric card. This card proves that you are entitled to services and you may need to show it for example at the bank, the Department of Work and Pensions or at college. However you do not need to carry this card around with you. In Great Britain citizens do not need to carry proof of identity. It is better to keep the card in a safe place and only take it out when you need to.

Once your asylum claim has been accepted you can claim benefits such as housing benefit to pay for your accommodation. For more information, look at the Finance section and talk to your Personal Adviser.

Whatever your situation, you will have a contact number and know how to contact us when you need us. Sometimes other agencies in the community can provide what you need and we will help you to access this.

If you do not have a named worker, please call the duty worker.
Telephone: 01480 372463 (9am to 5pm).

If an emergency occurs out of office hours then the Emergency Duty Service can be contacted. 
Telephone: 01733 234724 (out of office hours)

If you are aged 21-25 and your case has been closed - find out more about re-opening it and getting support from a Personal Adviser.

Feedback and complaints

If you are unhappy about any aspect of the support you receive, please talk to your Personal Adviser / Social Worker as they will want to help sort it out. If you would rather talk to someone else, you can ask to speak to their manager.

Alternatively, you can contact the Customer Care Team:
Children’s Services, FREEPOST Box SH1215, Shire Hall, Cambridge, CB3 0AP
Telephone: 01223 699 664
Text: 07795 092 404
Email:  [email protected]

NYAS is an independent organisation. To request a NYAS advocate to assist you with a complaint or other concern, call 0800 808 1001 or email [email protected] or look on their website: www.nyas.net

Did you find this information useful?