We are committed to providing a service to children with special needs and their families, so that they can enjoy the pleasure of stories. Please see the list of special needs provision for more details. Our service includes:
- Autism Collection: recommended books
- Bag Book packs (multi-sensory storytelling kits)
- Bookshine, Bookstart and Booktouch: free packs of specially selected books
- ClearVision braille books
- eAudio books: available to borrow for free
- Giant print / braille and large print books
- New Experience books
- Stories on CD
Books for children with dyslexia or other reading difficulties
Many of our libraries stock Barrington Stoke - fiction for dyslexic, reluctant and under-confident children. Booktrust and lovereading4kids recommend books which are particularly dyslexia-friendly, as well as those which have a high interest level and low reading age.
Cambridgeshire's Dyslexia Guidance has information on early identification and assessment, screening and evidence based interventions; it also includes FAQs and tips from parents on useful resources.
The British Dyslexia Association also has useful information for parents to help their children at home.