Advocacy helps you to:

  • express your views and wishes
  • understand your rights and get the information you need
  • have the support you need to make sure your voice is heard

Local authorities must involve you in the decisions that are made about your care and support. If you have difficulty being involved in these decisions, your local authority must provide an advocate. Unless there is someone else suitable to support you.

Advocacy is completely independent from the local authority, including the adult social care teams.

Advocates can help you explore your available options with you and help you express your own decisions. They do not make the decisions themselves on your behalf.

When necessary there are local organisations that can provide independent advocates.

VoiceAbility offers advocacy support to adults and unpaid carers. VoiceAbility also supports children and young people, looked after or in need. This service supports people living with:

  • a physical disability
  • a learning disability
  • Autism and other types of neurodiversity
  • a mental health condition
  • a sensory impairment
  • social or health care needs
  • NHS health complaints

Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

Your mental capacity means your ability to understand information, and make decisions for yourself in specific areas of your life.

VoiceAbility can provide a IMCA to support people who lack mental capacity to make specific important decisions, who do not have someone suitable to help them with this.

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

VoiceAbility can provide a IMHA to people experiencing and being treated for a mental health condition in Peterborough, Fenland and across Cambridgeshire.

Contact VoiceAbility

Get information relevant to your situation, or find out what support VoiceAbility can offer in your area.

VoiceAbility website
Telephone: 0300 303 1660