Accessibility Options

Please speak to your Personal Adviser to ensure you are supported financially whilst remaining in education:

  • You may be eligible for the 16 -19 Bursary that provides support to enable you to stay in education or training.
  • Your PEP or EHCP review may suggest that you would benefit from a laptop. If you are over 18 and in, or about to start, full time education your Personal Adviser can request a laptop.
  • If you want to speak to someone about course fees and available support and concessions please speak to your Personal Adviser for advice. 
  • We will provide you with £5 to purchase stationary and £15 to purchase a school/work bag
  • If you are earning less than £150 a week, we will support you with travel through one of the following options: 
    The purchase of a bicycle, helmet, lights and lock for £180 or the purchase of a bus pass.
  • If you are caring for your own child or children and you are under 20, then the Care to Learn scheme can help you fund childcare while you are studying. If you are at college and your baby is due before the end of the course talk to your tutors.

Further Education

The Council’s ‘Virtual School’ continues to support young people up to eighteen. Your Personal Adviser can also provide support and advice.

If you are continuing in education, you will have support from your college or sixth form  tutor and/or a progress coach. We offer training to providers of post-16 education so that they understand the best ways to support looked after children and care leavers.

Your progress will be monitored through your Personal Education Plan (PEP). You will be able to say what you like or don’t enjoy about your course and be involved in setting targets and making plans for the future. If you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) or SEND support in school this will continue to be reviewed annually. 

If you are an unaccompanied asylum seeker will we undertake an initial assessment of your literacy and numeracy levels and you will be supported to apply for an appropriate course. Your Personal Adviser will be able to explain your options and how our education system works.

Higher Education 

On completion of further education, you may want to consider higher education.  Details of financial support and options for university students is provided in our Higher Education Guide for Care Leavers .

  • Your personal Adviser can talk to you about the opportunity for you to attend Higher Education residential trips and Higher Education taster days specifically for Looked After Children and Care Leavers. They can also support you with your applications to university (UCAS) and with applying for student finance.
  • We will cover the cost of travel to two open days and up to three interviews and, depending on your circumstances, we may cover the cost of someone to travel with you.

For more information on Higher Education and going to University look at the following websites:

Information on university courses and how to apply is available on the UCAS website. The website includes a ‘choosing your course’ section and specific pages for care leavers. 

  • www.thestudentroom.co.uk   Website/forum for potential and current students with group chat and advice on revision, etc.
  • www.propel.org.uk Website  for care leavers applying to, and in, higher education. Profiles the support available from individual universities.

Did you find this information useful?