A Blue Badge is a disabled parking permit that allows people who are registered severely sight impaired, or those with severe mobility issues easier access to public facilities by allowing them to park close to where they need to go.
In order to qualify for a badge you must be permanently and substantially disabled and provide evidence of this.
This application process is for both first time applications and customers who have an existing Blue Badge.
There is a £10 charge when applying for a Blue Badge payable by credit or debit card. If you are not eligible you will be refunded.
On receipt of all correct documentation your badge will be issued within 4 weeks.
Please note if you do not return any documents requested within 4 weeks of the communication requesting them, your application will be cancelled and any payments made will not be refunded.
You are automatically eligible to apply for a Blue Badge if you are over two years old and meet one of the following criteria:
- receive the Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance
- are severely sight impaired (registered blind)
- receive the War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement
- receive a lump sum benefit from the Armed Forces and Reserve Forces Compensation Scheme (within tariff levels 1-8). You must also have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- receive 8 points or more under the 'moving around' descriptor for the mobility component of the Personal Independence Payment (PIP).
As part of your application you will be required to provide supporting documentation as evidence of your qualifying benefit.
If you do not automatically qualify the council will assess your eligibility for a Blue Badge. Anyone over two years old may be eligible for a Blue Badge, if they either:
- have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk or which makes walking very difficult.
- drive a motor vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms, and are unable to operate all or some types of parking meter (or would find it very difficult to operate them)
If you do not meet the automatic eligibility for a Blue Badge, as part of your application you may be asked to attend an independent mobility assessment. You will be notified of this in writing during the course of your application.
We do not issue badges for temporary disability or conditions, or currently for those with mental health difficulties. Badges which fall under the discretionary period will be issued for 3 years.
Children under 3 years
If you are the parent of a child who is less than 3 years old you may apply for a Blue Badge for your child if they have a specific medical condition, which means they
- must always be accompanied by bulky medical equipment which cannot be carried around without great difficulty
- need to be kept near a vehicle at all times, so that they can, if necessary, be treated in the vehicle, or quickly driven to a place where they can be treated, such as a hospital
Once we have received your application and the correct documentation it can take up to 6 weeks to issue your badge. If you contact us before then we will be unable to provide any further information. We can only fast track applications where the applicant is terminally ill.