Accessibility Options

Looking for support

Care and support is provided by lots of different people. This includes informal carers - such as your family and friends – organisations and groups in the community, private care providers, health services and the Council. (Please note: in Cambridgeshire, mental health support is a separate service and is not integrated with social care.)

Most people want to live independently in their own homes for as long as possible, and this can often be achieved through lifestyle changes with the help of equipment or technology, or making sure your home is suitable for your needs sooner rather than later (find out more about Housing Options for Older People – HOOP).

You may need help with personal care, such as bathing, washing or dressing yourself; preparing meals and feeding yourself; or moving around safely due to support needs resulting from a combination of physical or learning disabilities, sight or hearing impairment, physical or mental frailty or ill health. (Please note, we have no funding available for housework.)

Those with the highest level of needs may need some care and support – this could be on a short term basis, for example following a hospital stay, or longer term.

If you are sourcing care privately we would recommend that you find an agency through the Care Choices Adults Care and Support Services Guide 2018, working in partnership with us and/or NHS Choices, to find suitable care and check it meets national standards. The Care Quality Commission website can tell you about providers’ standards of quality and safety.

We know that making decisions about care and support for yourself or someone you care about can be worrying and you will have lots of questions. You might talk things over with your family or close friends and will need to know who to turn to for information and advice.

When you contact us, we will have a conversation with you to find out more about your circumstances so that we can provide you with the right information or refer you for assessment. See below to find out what you'll need to tell us.

If you care for someone, you can ask us to assess your needs too.

Contact us

Before getting in touch, please read 'What do we need to know about you?' below.

Email: [email protected]
Secure email for practitioners: [email protected] (for use when sending emails from nhs.net and nhs.uk addresses)

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
8am to 6pm Monday to Friday
9am to 1pm on Saturday

In an emergency, outside office hours

If someone is in danger and unable to protect themselves or cannot remain in the community without immediate intervention telephone: 01733 234 724.

If the person is in immediate danger or needs medical treatment contact the police and/or call an ambulance on 999.

What do we need to know about you?

When you contact us, we will ask you for some personal details and other information. It will help us deal with your enquiry quickly and effectively if you make sure that you have the following information with you when you get in touch:

For yourself or the person you are enquiring on behalf of:

  • Full name
  • Full address, including postcode
  • Email address, if you have one
  • Telephone number, home and mobile, if you have one
  • Date of birth
  • Marital status
  • Next of kin
  • Ethnicity
  • Religion
  • GP name and surgery
  • Any sight, hearing or speech impairments
  • Reason for enquiry or referral
  • What help is needed?
  • Any specialist equipment used
  • Any care in place
  • Do you live alone?
  • Preferred method of communication (e.g. email, telephone etc)
  • Who should we contact to respond to the enquiry?
  • What is the best time for us to get in touch?
  • Financial information, e.g. the amount of savings you have
  • Full name of the person making the enquiry if it is on behalf of someone else
  • If you are calling on behalf of someone else, we will ask you to confirm that you have their consent to make enquiries on their behalf 

Community navigators

Part of Care Network Cambridgeshire, Community Navigators help older, isolated and vulnerable people in Cambridgeshire to stay independent and keep in touch with friends and their community.

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback