Skip to main content

Worried about a friend or family member

Concerns about wellbeing

We all want to do the best for our loved ones, and to help them stay safe, well and independent.

You may have noticed a change in behaviour. Maybe you are concerned about their wellbeing or ability to take care of themselves. There are lots of reasons why you may be concerned about someone.

Below are some of the most common causes for concern. Most people want to remain living independently in their own homes for as long as possible. There may be simple ways you can help them to do this.

There are lots of things which can cause memory loss, and many are treatable.

If you are concerned that someone is a risk to themselves because they are becoming forgetful, please contact us:

Contact us through our online contact form

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

See our information on getting out and about.

Our Library at Home service uses a network of volunteers to take books to people who are unable to leave their homes.

Equipment and technology can help people to stay safe and independent in their own homes if they have restricted mobility.

Falls are a leading cause of hospitalisation of older people. Many people will never be well enough to return home again after a fall. There are steps to take to reduce the risk of a loved one falling. 

Find out more about falls prevention and find a simple test to check whether someone is at risk of a fall at NHS Choices.

You can contact the Cambridgeshire Falls Prevention team for more advice.

This includes:

  • neglecting personal hygiene
  • dressing inappropriately for weather conditions
  • failing to manage medical conditions
  • not eating or drinking properly
  • hoarding

There could be a range of reasons why people stop looking after themselves.

The fire service can carry out a Safe and Well visit for those at risk of fires or accidents caused by hoarding. They can also advise on safety in the home, falls prevention, home security and scam prevention.

Equipment and technology allow many people to remain living independently.

Daily living aids can help people to carry out tasks around the home, and 'lifelines' can provide reassurance to family members that a loved one is safe.

The Keep Your Head website has information on mental health.

If you are concerned that someone is a risk to themselves because of self-neglect, please contact us:

Contact us through our online contact form

Telephone: 0345 045 5202
9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday

Domestic abuse is any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality. Abuse can be:

  • psychological
  • physical
  • sexual
  • financial
  • emotional

Information about domestic abuse is available from Cambridgeshire and Peterborough Domestic Violence Partnership.

There is also information about domestic abuse on the Cambridgeshire Constabulary website.

Report abuse of an adult at risk

Some adults are more at risk of being abused than others, such as:

  • older people
  • people with a visual or hearing impairment
  • people with a physical disability
  • people with learning disabilities or mental health problems
  • people living with HIV or AIDS who have care and support needs

Please tell us if you are aware of abuse or potential abuse of an adult at risk. For concerns about anyone else, please contact Cambridgeshire Constabulary.

We all have mental health and we all have to take care of it. It affects how we think, feel and behave as well as determining how we handle stress, relate to others and make choices. Our mental health can change over time. Some people call mental health 'emotional health' or 'wellbeing'.

You can find information on mental health on Be Well website.

Around 5% of adults in England report feeling lonely "often" or "always". Those who are widowed, or who report poor health, are more at risk of loneliness.

Find out about support for loneliness.

Your district council can advise you on housing issues.

There are also housing officers at housing associations who can provide information and advice.

Living in a home which meets our needs makes it more likely that we can remain independent for life. If you are worried about someone who is starting to find it a struggle in their home, you can find out more about housing options.

Equipment and technology enables people to remain living independently in their homes.

Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service

Age Uk provides a local handyperson service to help reduce falls and accidents. The service is for people aged over 65 years, or those with a disability living in Cambridge City, South Cambridgeshire, East Cambridgeshire, Huntingdonshire and Fenland.

They can carry out minor jobs such as fitting key safes, replacing lightbulbs, and fitting grab rails.

Call the helpline 0300 666 9860 between 9am-3pm Monday to Friday, calls made outside these hours will be transferred to the Age UK National Helpline. Alternatively, you can email the Cambridgeshire Handyperson Service directly on direct phone line call 01480 700205.

Those with the highest level of needs may need some care and support – this could be on a short term basis, for example following a hospital stay, or longer term. Find out more about organising care and support.

In an emergency

If you are worried about an adult who is in immediate danger or needs medical treatment contact the police and/or call an ambulance on 999. 

Reporting concerns of an adult at risk of abuse

If it is not an emergency situation, you can report concerns around an adult who is at risk of abuse to us.