Carers assessments

If you look after another person, you can request an assessment where we find out what is important to you and what might make your life easier. We can discuss the kinds of issues that you might need help with, and how this has an impact on you.

You have a right to be considered when decisions are being made about support for the person you care for. This includes education, training, work or leisure activities that you would like to take part in.

You can request a carer's assessment:

  • if you are aged 18 or over who care for another adult (Am I a carer?)
  • if you provide regular unpaid care for a relative or friend or you are a parent/carer of a disabled child
  • whether or not the person  you care for is getting support from us
  • with or without the permission from the person you care for

What happens during an assessment?

We will have a discussion with you to help us understand the physical, emotional and practical impact that caring has on your life. If appropriate we can carry out a supported self-assessment with you – we will discuss this with you.

Your assessment can be carried out at the same time as a social care assessment of the person you care for.

The assessment will identify what support is available to you.

The assessment will not:

  • assess the quality of the care that you provide
  • include a financial assessment
  • assess the needs of the person you care for, unless they request a care needs assessment at the same time

During the assessment we will write a carer's support plan with you. If you are eligible for further support from us, we can offer a range of options, and will identify available support. We may also identify a personal budget.

If you are not eligible for further support from us, we will still write a support plan with you. We will tell you about other sources of support.

More information

To have a conversation around the role and support options for carers, contact:

Caring Together
Telephone: 0345 241 0954

If you care for someone with mental ill health, who is not supported by Cambridgeshire County Council, contact:
Making Space
Telephone: 01480 211 006
Mobile: 07738 148 277

If you care for someone who is supported by a team within Cambridgeshire County Council:
Contact that team for more information.