Wild World Heroes, Summer Reading Challenge 2021
Wild World Heroes Summer Reading Challenge is open to pre-school and primary school aged children and is designed for all reading abilities. It is free to take part.
This year The Reading Agency has teamed up with World Wildlife Fund for a very special nature-themed Challenge that will inspire children to stand up for the planet!
How to take part:
- Sign up at your local library or Mobile library. After you have read your first book you will receive a collector’s poster & bookmark
- Or sign up online from Saturday 10 July. After you have read your first book, pick up your Collector's poster & bookmark
- Children read six library books of their choice over the holidays
- Collect a sticker for each book read – some are scratch & sniff!
There is a Certificate and Medal for everyone who finishes; under-3s will receive a special Sticker Medal.
Children can sign up from Saturday July 10th. Once the holidays start, they can collect their stickers at any time that we are open.
Summer Reading Challenge activities
Many libraries hold special ‘listening sessions’ when children can talk to a member of staff or a young volunteer about the books they are reading. Please ask at your local library or keep an eye on our social media pages to find out about additional activities.
Our Young Volunteers (13-18years old) have an essential role to play in the Summer Reading Challenge:
- Promoting the Challenge to families
- Asking the children about the books they have read
- Helping with library activities
Ask at your local library for details of how to sign up as a volunteer. The documents you will need to complete are below.
If you are 18+ years you will need to complete a Volunteer Application Form which requires two references.
Summer Reading Challenge links
Find more links to online information in our free online resources webpage.