Are you worried about the rising cost of energy bills, food and transport?
You are not alone; the cost of living crisis is affecting many of us.
You may want help accessing grants and debt advice, support getting all the money you're entitled to, or simply want to know more about the government's recent support measures.
Whatever your money worries may be, we've put together some helpful information in the links below to help you
General money advice
- Citizens Advice provide a wide variety of help and advice including debt and money. They can give you the information you need to make the right choices, including help to deal with your debt problems, how to avoid losing your home and how to get your finances back into shape. Citizens Advice website
- Making Money Count offers everyday help with money, finding work and renting. Reliable and easy to follow information brought to you by organisations across Cambridgeshire and Peterborough. Includes tips and advice on money, bills and debt, check entitlements, shopping deals, budgeting, keeping track of money, energy saving tips. Making Money Count website
- Money Help in Cambridgeshire’ checklist for entitlements, everyday savings, budget planner. Money-Help-in-Cambridgeshire-checklist (opens as a .pdf)
- Cambridge Money Advice Centre aim to provide a practical Christian response to the growing problem of debt in Cambridgeshire. They offer sessions at different sites. Cambridge Money Advice Centre website or call 01223 727455.
- Money Advice Service is a free and impartial money advice service, set up by the government. It includes information on debt, budgeting and benefits. Money Advice Service website
- Turn 2 Us is a national charity to help you when times get tough, providing financial support to get back on track. They have lots of useful information and tools on their website such as a benefits calculator, managing low incomes, grant search and looking for work. Turn 2 Us website.
- Money Helper – Free guidance backed by the HM Government – subjects include benefits, family, money troubles, everyday money, homes, work - including a budget planner
- Christians Against Poverty (CAP) – a charity providing free debt help, find a job or gain vital life skills, Every working day to help you find a practical, lasting solution to debt and poverty. Christians Against Poverty (CAP) website or call (free) 0800 328 0006
- National Pension Advisors advise on what pension you will have to live on when you leave employment or retire for any reason. National Pension Advisors.
- A benefits check will tell you if there is more money help with your everyday living and housing costs. Always seek help from a specialist adviser if you are applying for a carer or disability / health related benefit. Entitled To website.
- Free childcare for 2 year olds
- Universal entitlement to free childcare for 3 and 4 year olds
- Early Years Pupil Premium
- Healthy Start – if you are 10 weeks or more pregnant, have a child under 4 and receive qualifying benefits, you may be entitled to get help to buy healthy food and milk Healthy Start website.
- Little Bundles - Helping families across Cambridgeshire. Little Bundles website.
- Tax credits: work out your childcare costs GOV.UK website.
- Buttle UK is a charity dedicated to helping children and young people in crisis in the UK: those living in financial hardships and dealing with multiple challenging social issues. Buttle UK website.
- Making Money Count - A crisis can occur for lots of different reasons, Check out the information on various help available to you in your area. Making Money Count (Help in a crisis) website.
- Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme provides advice and support to families about making their money go further or help to move on from a difficult situation. Cambridgeshire Local Assistance Scheme.
- Foodbanks can help with short term needs. Find your local foodback.
- Food bank vouchers - Available via Child and Family Centres and Health Visitors.
- Free school meals - Apply for free school meals.
Home items / furniture
- Cambridge Re-Use - Discounted prices to those on low income, benefits and students and pensioners, to help make a comfortable home. Cambridge Re-Use (formerly Cambridge Sofa) website.
- Emmaus Cambridge - Homelessness Charity website.
- Cambridgeshire Charity Shops - Local Life website.
- Glasspool Charity Trust is UK-wide charity providing grants support for people experiencing financial hardship Glasspool Charity Trust website.
- ButtleUK - access to Chances for Children grant online – ButtleUK website.
Cost of living scams
We urge you to be wary of scammers taking advantage of the cost of living crisis.
- Which? has produced a list of 5 cost of living scams to watch out for
- Money Saving Expert has compiled a similar list
Find out more about scams and how to report them on our scams page.