Skip to main content

Removing or returning to school roll and flexi-schooling

Removing child from school roll

Parents are not required to inform the school of their decision to withdraw their child to be home educated. However, by not providing the school with this information the parent is potentially at risk of prosecution for non-school attendance or the child falling into the scope of the local authority's Children Missing from Education statutory duties. We would suggest therefore that you write or email formally to the head teacher if you plan to take your child out of school to be home educated.

The school must accept a formal letter/email to off roll, if you’re taking your child out completely. Schools are obliged, not the parent, to inform the local authority whenever a child is removed from its register to be home educated. The school will therefore inform us of your decision to home educate and de-register your child from the school roll. The Elective Home Education Office will be in contact within 15 working days from the date of the school referral.

If you have decided to home educate due to school based issues then please discuss this with the Head teacher or a member of the Senior Leadership team to allow the opportunity for your areas of concern to be addressed. This will also enable the school to seek support from the local authority if appropriate.

Returning a child from school roll if previously home educated

You can send your child back to school at any time. You will need to apply for a school place, however, please note that school places at your desired school cannot be guaranteed.

Schools are equipped with supporting children who have previously been electively home educated to transition back into a school setting.

Contact the school admissions team at for information and advice.


Flexi-schooling is where a child is educated at school part of the time and at home for the rest. Flexi-schooling is different from a child being offered a reduced timetable to support them to reintegrate into full time education, or children receiving alternative provision.

Parents who wish to consider flexi-schooling should first contact the head teacher of their child’s school (or if their child is not registered at a school then the head teacher of the nearest local age appropriate school). The head teacher of a school may accommodate flexi-schooling if he/she so wishes but is under no legal obligation to do so.