School admissions in Cambridgeshire
It is your responsibility as a parent / carer to make an application for a school place.
School admissions in Cambridgeshire are managed by the School Admissions Team. We deal with applications for places in all school year groups, with the exception of sixth forms and colleges.
- All admissions to maintained schools, including Academies, must be made in accordance with the School Admissions Code. This ensures that school places are allocated in an open and fair way.
- If you live in Cambridgeshire, all school admissions are managed by the School Admissions Team.
- All children must legally start education in the term following their 5th birthday. In Cambridgeshire places are offered in Reception from the September following your child’s 4th birthday.
- Help is available with choosing a school from the Parents School Preference Adviser.
- If you are in receipt of certain benefits your child may be entitled to free school meals. This can save you paying up to £400 a year for school meals. There may be other financial help associated with learning.
Moving into Cambridgeshire
If you are moving into Cambridgeshire from abroad or another county and your child requires a school place, you will need to make an in-year application. You can use the school search to find a list of schools in Cambridgeshire. You can also see which catchment area your house is in.
Ofsted is changing how it inspects schools
Ofsted inspection reports
Ofsted parent view
Department for Education - performance tables
Department for Education - school admissions code
Department for Education - guidance for schools on school admission and overseas students