Post-16 transport for pupils with special educational needs (SEND)


If your child has an Education, Health, and Care Plan (EHCP) and is aged between 16 and 25, they may be eligible for assistance with transport.

Many students with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) are expected to travel independently either by public transport or on foot to their post-16 education provision, unless their SEND, medical, or disability prevents this.

Criteria to qualify for transport assistance

Young people with SEND may be eligible for transport assistance if they meet the following criteria:

  • Live in Cambridgeshire
  • Be aged between 16 and 25 years
  • Have a valid EHCP, and be unable to access public transport, school bus contracts or walk
  • On a full-time course (minimum 15 taught hours) and attending their nearest appropriate centre, offering an appropriate course for that young person
  • Live more than 3 miles from the school/college or not be able to walk less than those distances specified due to SEND

For families who are in receipt of the following benefits, free post-16 transport provision would be offered, if all the eligibility criteria are met:

  • Income support
  • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related employment and support allowance
  • Support under part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Holds the NHS Tax Credit Exemption Certificate 
  • Universal Credit with a household monthly net income of no more than £935

If you do not qualify for the above benefits, a contribution of £220 per term will be required when applying.

Should your child not meet the SEND post-16 transport policy, or is able to access public transport, rail or school bus contract, please visit our mainstream post-16 education transport page to check eligibility.

Transport provision

Transport needs for each child are assessed on an individual basis, based on their Statement / EHCP and information from professionals and parents. Transport is provided in the following way:

Whichever best meets the child's needs and is cost effective to the Council.

Out of county placements

If a child has been placed at an independent out of county provision, transport support will be provided. You will be asked to transport your child and costs will be met. Please see the personal transport budget page for details on this.

If you do not have access to a vehicle or are unable to provide transport, the Council will provide transport in the same process mentioned above.

Apply for post-16 SEND transport

Please note: If you are a Social Worker requesting transport for a LAC pupil under the age of 18, please don’t complete this form, but email

All applications are assessed and approved by the Statutory Assessments Team (SAT). Please allow 15 working days for applications to be processed. This may increase during peak periods. 

If you would prefer to complete a paper application form instead of using the online system, a copy can be found below.

Post 16 SEN 2022 application1.04MBpdf
Size: 1.04MBFile format: pdf

Make payment for additional terms 

If you have already made a successful application for the current academic year, you can pay online for additional terms.  

Please note: This application is only for renewals during the same academic year

Reviewing transport provision

A review of your child's transport provision will be made annually as part of the annual review process. The nature of SEND transport means that arrangements have to be flexible, with pupils joining and leaving routes throughout the year, and the Council are not able to communicate these changes to parents. Changes to operators are avoided where possible, but are occasionally out of the Council's control.

The Council also has a legal obligation to review and re-tender transport contracts on a regular basis. However, any review of this nature will be communicated with parents prior to any changes being made.

SEND Transport Charter

The SEND transport charter outlines the responsibilities of all stakeholders involved in the transport provision of your child.

SEND Transport Charter Cambridgeshire104KBpdf
Size: 104KBFile format: pdf
Home to School Transport Code of Conduct - additional info for COVID-1981KBpdf
Size: 81KBFile format: pdf

Home to School Travel Assistance Policy

The Home to School Transport Assistance Policy covers mainstream, special and post-16 education transport.

Home to school travel assistance policy715KBpdf
Size: 715KBFile format: pdf

Contact the Social and Education Transport team

Social and Education Transport Team
Box No. SH1013
New Shire Hall
Emery Crescent
Enterprise Campus
Alconbury Weald
PE28 4YE

Tel: 01223 706 123

Frequently asked questions

A: Young people with SEND may be eligible for transport assistance if they meet the following criteria:

  • Live in Cambridgeshire.
  • Be aged between 16 and 25 years.
  • Have a valid Statement or EHCP, and be unable to access public transport, school bus contracts, or walk.
  • On a full-time course (minimum 15 taught hours) and attending their nearest appropriate centre, offering an appropriate course for that young person.
  • Live more than 3 miles from the school/college or not be able to walk less than those distances specified due to SEND

A: The majority of pupils will receive a letter from Social and Education Transport Team (SETT) when applications are available (approx. July), however, if this is late into the summer holidays you might not get this straight away.

You can make applications for September on our website from July, ready for September. If you are starting mid-school year, you can make an application online at any time. 

A: Applications can be made online on our school transport webpage.  Follow the link to the Post16 SEND pages. 

A: A contribution will be required for Post16 transport unless a member of the household (or student) is in receipt of one of the qualifying low-income documents CCC accept.

A: CCC accepts the following evidence of low income if a member of the household(or student themselves). Qualifying criteria:

  • Income Support
  • Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration & Asylum Act 1999
  • Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • NHS Tax Exemption certificate
  • Universal Credit with a household monthly net income of no more than £935

ALL pages of low-income evidence MUST be provided with applications. If none of the above is applicable, a financial contribution is required.

A: 2021/2022 charge is £215.00 per term or £645.00 for the year. 

A: No, the fee that is paid is a small contribution towards transport, the cost of transport is heavily subsidised by CCC.

A: There is a duty upon the Council to help facilitate young people’s access to appropriate Post16 provision, but no obligation to fund transport arrangements. 

A: By going through the SEND transport process, it has been assessed that specialist transport is required. As such, the majority of Post16 SEND transport is provided on taxis and minibuses transport, with a few being issued transport on dedicated school/college buses. 

A: The CCC tries and work out the most cost and time-effective transport for all students, as such most transport will be shared with other pupils. Passenger Assistants (PA’s)are assessed on a case by case basis, they could be provided if a pupil has a medical need (i.e. epilepsy) or behaviour concern. This would be reviewed annually, and a PA being on a route one year does not guarantee a PA for subsequent years. It is essential to full details are provided on applications every year, so assessments can be made, and appropriate transport and staff are provided. 

A: Prior to the start of the school term, or 10 working days from submissions of a completed application, whichever is longer. If specialist transport (i.e. wheelchair or specifically trained staff) is required, this may take longer to procure and organise.

A: Once being informed which company will be, contact can be made to arrangement and greet meeting with the transport staff is required. They will also be able to advise of pick-up and drop-off times at this point. 

A: If Post16 transport is refused, an email will be received to explain the reason why this is refused. Should the transport decision need to be reviewed, a written appeal request can be requested with any supporting evidence. Email your evidence to: Statutory.Assessment&

A: No, CCC only provides transport for the start and the end of the school/college day. 

A: Any change of circumstance, Email: with full details of the pupil and the changes required. Please be advised, a change of home address will result in eligibility for transport to be reviewed, this would be reviewed on a case by case basis but could result in transport no longer being provided. 

A: Yes, SETT will send out written notification when payments are due, failure to pay will result in transport be ceased. 

A: PTB is a payment made to parent/guardian instead of taxi/minibus transport, this can be used to cover the cost of transporting yourself, or towards another form of transport. All requests for PTB are assessed on a case by case basis, and only authorised if this is the most cost-effective transport solution, or, is deemed the safest way of transporting. The bespoke PTB payment would be advised during any discussions. Please note, PTB’s are reviewed annually, and if this is not the most cost-effective option would be ceased. 

A: CCC is shortly going to employ a company to deliver a pilot Independent Travel Training project. Schools and colleges have been asked to nominate pupils that may benefit from this scheme. Contact should be made with the school/college should this be an option. 

A: Should SEND post-16 transport policy not be met, or public transport, rail, or school bus contract if preferred, applications through the mainstream Post16 process could be made. Go to our education transport webpage and follow the links to the mainstream post 16 pages for further information.