Mobile libraries restart
Our mobile libraries are back on the roads of Cambridgeshire. The fleet is headed by two brand new vehicles. We will be returning to our regular stops, but unfortunately access to the vehicle is limited to help keep staff safe. We are providing books selected in advance using the Select and Collect service. More information on mobile libraries.
A temporary service to Histon is now in place. There will be a Mobile Library at Histon Baptist Church Mondays 10am-2pm and Thursdays 2-6pm.
We are delighted that so many of our customers have come back to us following the re-opening of our libraries.
The good news is that all our libraries are open: Arbury Court, Bar Hill, Barnwell Road, Bottisham, Buckden, Burwell, Cambourne, Cambridge Central, Chatteris, Cherry Hinton, Clay Farm, Comberton, Cottenham, Ely, Great Shelford, Huntingdon, Linton, Littleport, March, Milton Road, Papworth, Ramsey, Rock Road, Sawston, Sawtry, St Ives, St Neots, Soham, Warboys, Whittlesey, Willingham, Wisbech and Yaxley.
The opening hours at these libraries have temporarily changed and they will be open to customers for a reduced number of sessions each week – details of library opening hours.
Our approach to re-opening continues to adhere to government advice and our priority remains the health and safety of all customers and staff. You must wear a mask/face covering when visiting a library, unless you have a legitimate reason for not wearing a mask.
How can I use the library?
It isn’t possible to freely browse the shelves at the moment. Books can be borrowed using our new Select and Collect Service. This free service allows you to choose titles according to your preferences (e.g. genre, fiction, non-fiction, talking books, children’s books) and then collect them from any of the open libraries.
Our IT facilities are back up and available for 45 minute customer appointments which can be made over the phone via the Customer Service Centre or online.
Whilst it’s great to have our libraries open again to the new model we appreciate that it is still short of the full offer customers are used to. We are keeping things under continual review and will resume the full service as soon as it is possible to do so safely.
- The Library at Home Service has now resumed
- Meeting rooms, library events and activities have not resumed. These services will reintroduced when it is safe to do so.
- The Cambridgeshire Collection in Cambridge Central Library is available again on an appointment-only basis
- Histon Library has closed for refurbishment, there is a temporary mobile library in Histon until a new library opens in 2021.
- Online reservations are available online or via Customer Services 0345 045 5225
- Customers will be able to call or contact us online to request a selection of titles based on genre or author, which we’ll make available for collection. More details to follow.
- Return items to any open library
- No browsing of titles in libraries
- No CD/DVD lending
- Talking Books free throughout September
- Public Access IT facilities by appointment only. One 45 minute appointment per day per customer. Book a library computer online or call us on 0345 045 5225 .
- Printing - exact cash only, card payments at Cambridge Central, Huntingdon and Wisbech libraries
- All in-library events remain suspended
- No room hire
- eServices – content and activities
- We cannot accept book donations
- There are currently no plans to re-open the Cambridgeshire Collection. This is because there is no access the third floor of Cambridge Central Library. We are currently operating an email (Cambridgeshire.email@example.com) and telephone (0345 045 5225) enquiry system.
Loans, renewals, reservations and charges
- All items borrowed prior to lockdown have had their due date extended until the 30 September.
- Manage your account online
- The loan period will be temporarily be extended from 3 to 6 weeks for items issued in September.
- All existing loan charges remain frozen until further notice. We will continue to review this.
- Reservation charges suspended until further notice. We will continue to review this.
Joining the Library
- Download eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, and eNewspapers free with your library card number
Online events & activities
Tel. 0345 045 5225
8am-6pm Monday to Friday and 9am-1pm on Saturday.