What can I take to a Household Recycling Centre

Flammable liquids

If you have more than 5 litres of flammable liquids or chemicals or more than 20 litres of paint to dispose of, please email wmt@cambridgeshire.gov.uk before attending any site.

Please note that paint is only accepted at Witchford, March, Milton, St Neots, Thriplow and Wisbech only.

Our Household Recycling Centres are provided for waste created by Cambridgeshire residents in their own homes.

They will not accept waste from:

  • Businesses
  • Tradespeople working on your property
  • Landlords except tenants bringing their own household waste
  • Parish councils, schools, charity shops or clubs
  • Large scale construction, demolition or renovation projects

Visit our Household Recycling Centre Policies and Strategy page for further information.

Waste items accepted at all Household Recycling Centres unless otherwise stated

Waste is accepted at the site manager's discretion

  • Aerosols
  • Batteries (car/household - all sizes and types including those in mobile phones and power tools)
  • Bicycles
  • Black bag waste from your own household (must be separated)
  • Bulky items
  • Cardboard
  • Car parts excluding tyres. Visit the Giveacar website for ways to scrap and sell your car for charity or dispose of your car free of charge
  • Carpet
  • CDs, DVDs and VHS tapes Find out other things you can do with CDs and DVDs on the Recycle Now website.
  • Chemicals - please contact your local recycling centre to find out what chemicals are accepted
  • Greetings cards
  • Clothes and textiles
  • Cooking oil - used to generate green electricity
  • Electrical items small and large, including TVs, computers (ensure any data is removed), computer games, white goods and disposable vapes which contain lithium batteries that can cause fires
  • Engine oil and filters
  • Fire extinguishers (household only)
  • Flammable liquids* (including petrol, methylated spirits, paraffin etc). A maximum of 5 litres of flammable liquid per household will be accepted each month at all sites provided it is in a labelled container. *Diesel is not accepted at any site due to environmental permit restrictions.
  • Fluorescent tubes
  • Fridges/freezers (*not ammonia fridges often used in vehicles, caravans, and boats as these are not classed as household waste and need to be disposed of via properly licenced commercial contractors who can be found through a Google search). If residents have any further questions, please contact the waste management team wmt@cambridgeshire.gov.uk
  • Furniture (such as sofas, chairs, bookcases etc)
  • Garden chemicals – we can accept limited amounts of garden chemicals, (weedkiller, slug-pellets etc) in their original packaging. When visiting a site residents must ask staff where to dispose of these items as they should not be placed in the general waste skips. If you have any questions about specific garden chemicals, please contact: wmt@cambridgeshire.gov.uk
  • Garden waste (not Japanese Knotweed - Find out how to stop Japanese knotweed from spreading on the GOV.UK website
  • Gas bottles
  • Glass
  • Hardcore (concrete/rubble) - subject to our construction and demolition policy See Strategies and Policies
  • Hard plastics including garden furniture, storage boxes, tubs, pallets, buckets, rigid plant pots, dustbins and water butts
  • Kitchen knives (ensure sharp parts are protected and cannot cause injury)
  • Light bulbs (including energy saving bulbs)
  • Loft insulation. Please ensure material is wrapped up securely. This is subject to our construction, demolition and DIY waste policy
  • Mattresses
  • Mercury thermometers- hand to a member of the site staff
  • Metals
  • Methylated spirits (see Flammable liquids)
  • Mobile phones (ensure data is removed)
  • Nitrous oxide canisters from household use only. You will be asked to sign a disclaimer form when disposing of these items. Canisters from commercial use should be returned to suppliers
  • Pallets (non-returnable only)
  • Paint - accepted at Witchford, March, Milton, St Neots, Thriplow and Wisbech only.
  • Paper (including shredded)
  • Paraffin (see Flammable liquids)
  • Petrol (see Flammable liquids)
  • Plasterboard - Should be free from asbestos, foam, metal, plaster, polystyrene, rubble, tiles and wood. This is subject to our construction, demolition and DIY waste policy
  • Plastic bottles are only accepted at Bluntisham, Witchford, Milton, St Neots and Thriplow centres
  • Printer cartridges
  • Polystyrene
  • Shoes
  • Soil and spent compost (not turf)
  • Timber- This is subject to our construction, demolition and DIY waste policy
  • Wrapping paper - Wrapping paper including foil or plastic should be put in your general waste bin

Remove personal information

Please ensure all personal information has been removed from electrical devices. Cambridgeshire County Council will not accept responsibility for the destruction of, or use of, any data left on the device.

Waste items not accepted

  • Animal waste produced from the litter trays and hutches of normal domestic pets (not including horse manure). Your district council will collect small pet bedding in your food and garden waste collections. Cat litter should go in your household rubbish. Please wrap animal waste carefully to avoid unnecessary health risk
  • Bakelite – please contact wmt@cambridgeshire.gov.uk for disposal advice
  • Car tyres
  • Japanese knotweed and soil contaminated with it cannot be accepted at any Household Recycling Centre or placed in your kerbside residual or garden waste collection. Follow guidelines from Government and Environment Agency and the Royal Horticultural Society. Use of specialist contractors is recommended. You could be fined up to £5,000 or be sent to prison for up to 2 years if you allow contaminated soil or plant material from any invasive weeds you transfer to spread into the wild. Find out how to stop Japanese knotweed from spreading on the GOV.UK website.