Hazardous waste


Asbestos is a hazardous waste needing to be handled and disposed of safely. If unsure if your waste contains asbestos, treat it as asbestos.

We encourage householders to dispose of all types of asbestos through a specialist licensed contractor listed on the Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA) website.

For general asbestos enquiries, email asbestosdisposal@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.

For information on what asbestos looks like, where it can be found in your home and what you should do if you find asbestos visit the asbestos health and safety section on the Health and Safety Executive website.

Cement-bonded asbestos

Cambridgeshire County Council offers its residents a disposal service for small quantities of cement bonded asbestos (equivalent to two roof sheets or less) if found in the home and removed by the resident. The service can only be used once within a 12 month period.

An asbestos disposal bag, permit and disposal at the Waste Transfer Station are free but an administration fee of £14 applies to cover processing the application and postage. 

The permit is valid for six weeks from the application date and material must be delivered for disposal within this timescale.

Waste from home improvement or demolition work is not accepted, even if you have carried out this work yourself. This must be disposed of by a licensed contractor.

Before removing asbestos please refer to Health and Safety Executive guidance

Apply to use the cement-bonded asbestos disposal service

Complete our application form and make your payment.

What you should do with other types of asbestos, such as blue or brown

Arrange for specialist licensed contractors to remove it. It must only be handled by sites and carriers with the appropriate licenses. See options at Asbestos Removal Contractors Association (ARCA) website

Asbestos service - Frequently Asked Questions

When will I receive my bag and permit?

You should receive both within 10 working days of successfully completing the online form. The permit and the bag will be delivered to the house address supplied on the online form.

What is the size of the asbestos bag?

The bag supplied is 2.59m (8’6”) x 1.37m (4’6”) and the contents must be sealed with industrial tape or cable ties.

What if I need more than one bag for the amount of asbestos waste I have?

Unfortunately the County Council can only help dispose of one bag of cement bonded asbestos a year per residence. Anything more than this amount needs to be disposed of through an approved licensed contractor.

Can I take asbestos to my nearest Household Waste Recycling centre?

No, because it is hazardous waste it must only be deposited at licensed facilities.

What if my permit expires or need to use a different vehicle?

You will need to contact us on asbestosdisposal@cambridgeshire.gov.uk.

Can I arrange for the Council to collect my bag from my address?

Unfortunately we do not offer this service at this time.

Dead animals

If you find a dead animal on the roadside please contact your district council so that it can be removed and disposed of safely.

Clinical waste

Clinical waste is any waste which poses a threat of infection to humans. The term also includes drugs or other pharmaceutical products.

Clinical waste is mainly produced by hospitals, health clinics, doctor surgeries and veterinary practices, but is also found in residential homes, nursing homes and private households.

Examples of clinical waste include:

  • human or animal tissue
  • blood or other bodily fluids
  • excretions
  • drugs or other pharmaceutical products
  • swabs or dressings (including nappies)
  • syringes, needles or other sharp instruments

What you should do with it

Please contact your district council to find out more about clinical waste collections. You should not dispose of any clinical waste except nappies in your rubbish. You can take unwanted medicines to your local pharmacy (who will dispose of them safely).

Explosives and fireworks

Recycling centres do not accept waste of this type under any circumstances. Do not put this waste in your kerbside collections (except for fully spent fireworks). It poses a risk to collection crews and members of the public.


If you have a firearm that you want to dispose of, please take it to your nearest police station.