Apply for a school place
It is your responsibility as a parent / carer to make an application for a school place.
School admissions in Cambridgeshire are managed by the County Council's School Admissions Team. They deal with applications for places in all school year groups, with the exception of sixth forms and colleges. Please select an option below for more information.
School admissions in Cambridgeshire
- All admissions to maintained schools, including Academies, must be made in accordance with the School Admissions Code, which ensures that school places are allocated in an open and fair way.
- If you live in Cambridgeshire, all school admissions are managed by the School Admissions Team.
- All children must legally start education in the term following their 5th birthday. In Cambridgeshire places are offered in Reception from the September following your child’s 4th birthday.
- Help is available with choosing a school from the Parents School Preference Adviser.
- If you are in receipt of certain benefits your child may be entitled to free school meals, saving you up to £400 a year on paying for school meals or other financial help associated with learning.
Moving into Cambridgeshire
If you are moving into Cambridgeshire from abroad or another county and your child requires a school place, you will need to make an in-year application. You can use the school search to find a list of schools in Cambridgeshire. You can also see which catchment area your house is in.
What if I want my child to start primary school a year early or a year late?
It is Cambridgeshire County Council’s policy to admit children to the Year group appropriate to their date of birth. You may seek a place outside your child's normal age group if, for example, your child is summer born, gifted and talented, or has experienced problems such as ill health. For more information on acceleration or deferrals, please contact the Admissions Team.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 1370
Fax: 01223 727 941