Accessibility Options

Applying for a school place 

You must apply online using our Citizen Portal.

  • If you are changing from one Cambridgeshire school to another you will need to supply a student details form to your current school. Once this has been completed, it needs to be attached and sent with your application.
  • If you are applying under academic or religious grounds, you may also need to complete a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) and send this to the school so they have it when they receive a request for a school place from us.
  • You will make one application per child and the application will be based on your child’s home address.
  • You should specify three schools, in order of preference. It is strongly recommended that you select your catchment school as one of your three preferences. 
  • Use all three preferences. If you only apply to one school, and there are no places available, we may allocate a school that you would not have chosen. You will also be responsible for getting your child to and from that school.
  • Check that you are not including any schools that administer their own in-year admissions as one of your three preferences (see frequently asked questions below).
  • If you are moving, or have moved address, you will need to attach proof of address with your application (see frequently asked questions below).

Click to apply (Citizen Portal)

Frequently asked questions

Sophia - Admissions Team Leader

"We process over 5,000 in-year applications a year, with around 3,000 of those between May and August for a place in September. Apply early, use all three preferences, include your catchment school and attached the correct documentation so we can process your application on time"

The application can only be considered from your child’s home address. This is the address where your child will be living when they are allocated a place.

If your child lives at more than one address:

  • their main residence will be where they spend the majority of their school nights (Sunday to Thursday)
  • if they divide their time equally between two addresses further evidence may be required to identify the child's home address

Only one application must be submitted. If more than one application is received, or we are made aware of a dispute between parents, we will place all applications on hold until:

  • one joint application is made, signed by all parties; or
  • written agreement is provided from both parents; or
  • a court order is obtained confirming which parent's application carries precedence

We check home addresses as part of the application process. If an application is found to be fraudulent we will withdraw the place.

Proof of address will be required before your application can be processed if you want an allocation to be made based on your new address. If you need to provide proof of a home move and this is not attached to the application form, the application will be placed on hold, while we request this information. Proof of address must be in the name of the person making the application.

You can attach copies of the following documents to your application - (you can send a digital copy, scan or take a photo of it - file types accepted include: jpeg; pdf; docx; png;).

  • current Council tax bill 
  • current TV Licence, showing name and address of the applicant

We will also accept copies of the following documents if they were issued within the last three months:

  • rental agreement for a minimum of six school weeks signed and dated by both the tenant and the landlord
  • utility bill for your home address, showing usage – Gas, Electricity, Water, Telephone (Not mobile phones)
  • driving licence showing  new address
  • letter from a Housing Association confirming that the applicant and the child are living at the address
  • HMRC Tax notification documentation
  • credit card statements
  • bank/building society statement
  • letter from National Asylum Support Service (NASS) or UK Border Force (UKBA) confirming placement at the address
  • child’s medical card, showing the home address
  • Home Office paperwork (including child’s name and date of birth)
  • letter from your solicitor confirming exchange of contracts on your new property, plus completion date if possible
  • Deed of Assignment
  • letter from friend/relative confirming that you will be staying with them (mentioning you all by full name), as well as recent utility bill for the friend/relative dated within the last three months
  • notice to quit (if returning to a property you own, that is currently tenanted)

We will withdraw school places which have been gained using false information or documentation.

You will need to apply directly to the following schools as they administer their own in-year applications. 

Note: If you are applying through the in-year application form because you missed the deadline for normal admission rounds (year of entry), you can still include these schools as one of your three preferences on the in-year application form.

Did you find this information useful?