How to apply to change a school place

Key information

We aim to process in-year applications within 10 school days. During peak periods, it may take up to 20 school days to process an application.

Please note that applications where a child is changing schools but not address may take considerably longer to process.

All admissions to maintained schools, including academies, must be made in accordance with the School Admissions Code which ensures that all school places are allocated in an open and fair way.

You should always apply for a school place through the Local Authority's School Admissions Team where the school is located, except for the following schools where you apply directly to them:

Cambridgeshire schools with places available

Information on which schools in Cambridgeshire still have places available. Last updated 06/11/2017.

Size: 76.83 KB File format: xlsx

How to apply

Before making your application, please read a copy of the in-year admissions guide as well as the school directory booklets for the District Council area in which you live, or are moving to. Help with choosing and applying for a school is available to all parents from the Parents School Preference Adviser.

In order for your application to be considered, you will need to provide:

  • A complete application form, which will have to be passed to your child's current school in order for them to complete part 2 of the form. The school will then return the form to you for submission to the Admissions Team.
  • A copy of a valid document proving your address. Please read the section on proof of address in the documentary evidence information, which the Admissions Team will deem as acceptable.
  • If you fail to provide all documents, your application will be put on hold and your child will not receive an offer of a school place.

In-year admissions guide

A guide for parents to admission to schools in Cambridgeshire.

Size: 200.25 KB File format: pdf

In-year paper application form

A paper copy of the in-year school application form. Contains both Part 1 and Part 2.

Size: 194.66 KB File format: pdf

Part 2 of the in-year paper application form

A paper copy of Part 2 of the in-year school application form.

Size: 214.70 KB File format: pdf

Documentary evidence information

Guidance on the documentary evidence required to support your in-year school admission application.

Size: 26.90 KB File format: pdf

Timetable for September 2017

First round of September 2017 applications - 1 May 2017 - 9 June 2017

Applications for a start date of 4 - 8 September 2017 will only be processed six school weeks prior to that date. As a large volume of applications is expected, applications will be accepted from 1 May 2017 ready for processing in June 2017.

The closing date for the first round of applications is 9 June 2017.
Offer letters will be sent on 11 July 2017.

Applications can be made online or by completing the paper copy of the In Year Application Form.

To ensure that your application is processed on time, please provide the following by 9 June 2017 at the very latest:

  • Part 2 of the application to be completed by your child's current school (if attending a school in England).
  • Proof of your address (please see guidance on documentary evidence required).
  • A copy of your child's birth certificate or passport.

Second round of September 2017 applications - 10 June 2017 onwards

Any applications received from 10 June 2017 onwards will be processed in date order of receipt of the full application following the first round offer date of 11 July 2017 (please see above regarding additional information necessary).

We endeavour to process all applications as swiftly as possible, however, as schools are closed during the summer holidays, contact may take longer than would normally be the case and may delay the outcome of your application. We appreciate your patience during this busy time.

Applications requesting a start date of 11 September 2017 onwards will be processed in the second round of applications.

Please note that if your application is for a secondary school age child who is not moving home but is wishing to change school (mid phase), the above timescales will not apply. Your application will be passed onto an Education Inclusion Officer who will contact you to discuss the implications of changing your child's school. If they are in agreement with the application continuing, they will advise the Admissions Team to start processing the application. There is no time limit to processing mid phase applications.

Please note Education Inclusion Officers and schools do not work over the summer holidays, so this may delay any mid phase applications.

Make your application

Please ensure that any correspondence is clearly marked with your child's name and date of birth so that it can be tied up with your application. This evidence can be submitted to the email or address below.

Applications will only be processed when all additional evidence required is provided, as listed in the documentary evidence information.

Please note you need to have part 2 completed (not required if relocating from overseas) and supply any additional supporting evidence for your application to be considered complete and for the Admissions Team to process it.

Click here to apply online - in-year applications

If you wish you can apply using the paper in-year application form and return it by email to: [email protected] or by post to:

School Admissions In-Year Team
The Octagon
Castle Hill

Deliver by hand to Reception at Shire Hall.

If you are applying to certain schools for religious reasons you will need to submit a Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to the school, as well as submitting your application form to the School Admissions Team. 

I am coming from abroad, is my child eligible for state education?

Please contact the UK Border Agency to enquire if you are entitled to apply for a school place. We recommend you visit the following websites to confirm you are aware of the Home Office regulations and laws on state education - and

Further information

Fair Access Protocol

The Education and Inspections Act 2006 introduced a requirement for each local authority to have in place a Fair Access Protocol (FAP).

Fair Access Protocols exist for those children who cannot obtain a place through normal admission procedures.

Further guidance on this requirement can be found in the School Admissions Code.

Fair Access Protocol

Cambridgeshire's Fair Access Protocol.

Size: 553.98 KB File format: pdf

My child has a Statement of Special Educational Need or an Education, Health and Care Plan, how do I apply?

Please contact the Statutory Assessment and Resources Team to apply for a school place on 01480 372 600 or email [email protected]. You can also find out more about Statutory Assessments and Education, Health and Care Plans.

Moving to a Cambridgeshire school with SEND

Process for applying for a school place for children and young people with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities or medical needs.

Size: 217.40 KB File format: pdf

How do I apply for sixth form?

All sixth form colleges administer their own admissions process. You will need to contact them directly to apply. Find details of sixth form colleges.

How do I apply for nursery?

All nurseries administer their own admissions process. You will need to contact them directly to apply. Find details of how to apply for nursery.

Did you find this information useful?

Website Feedback