How to apply for a secondary school place
Applications have now been processed and places allocated for all applicants who submitted applications prior to the closing date of 31 October 2016. Offer letters are dispatched via second class post on 1 March 2017 to all applicants. If your application was submitted online, you will also receive an email on 1 March 2017 containing details of your school offer, unless you opted out of this service. You are able to log back in to your application via the button below and view your offer from 1 March 2017 onwards.
A copy of the allocation information sheet that is included with every printed letter can be found here.
Year 7 - Transfer to secondary school
If your child was born between 1 September 2005 and 31 August 2006, they are due to transfer to secondary in September 2017. There is no automatic transfer to secondary school. An application must be made.
Please note the following information:
- Littleport and East Cambs Academy - this is a new school opening for September 2017 and does not have a geographical catchment area.
- Hampton Gardens - this is a Peterborough City school but is the catchment secondary school for the area served by Fourfields Primary School and William de Yaxley Junior School in Yaxley.
Year 9 - Transfer to Upper School
If your child was born between 1 September 2003 and 31 August 2004, they are due to transfer to upper school in September 2017. There is no automatic transfer to secondary school; an application must be made. For further information, please refer to the transferring to upper school leaflet.
Please note if you wish to apply for a Year 9 place at a Cambridgeshire secondary school, this must be made through the in-year admissions process.
Year 10 - University Technical College
If you wish to apply for a Year 10 place at Cambridgeshire's University Technical College (UTC), please contact the college on 01223 724 300 or visit their website.
Year 10 - Cambridge Regional College
Cambridge Regional College will also admit into Year 10 for September 2017 entry. They can be contacted by telephone on 01223 418 200 or by emailing [email protected].
Parents of children applying for Year 9 at an upper school, or wishing to apply for a Year 10 place at the University Technical College (UTC), must have applied for a school place by 31 October 2016. Late applications may only be made using a paper application form.
12 September to 31 October 2016
- Read the Next Steps booklet and its addendum. This booklet guides you through the process and explains how places are allocated if there are more applications received than places available.
- Apply for a place online (opens Monday 12 September 2016).
31 October 2016 - Application deadline
- All online applications must be completed by 11.59pm on Monday 31 October 2016.
- All paper applications must be received at the Admissions office by 5pm on Monday 31 October 2016.
- Applications made after this date will not be considered until the second round of allocations on 24 April 2017. In this instance, you cannot apply online and must complete a paper application.
November 2016 to February 2017
- The Admissions Team will liaise with schools and other authorities to make sure that, where possible, parents receive a single offer for the highest preference school which is able to offer a place.
1 March 2017 - Offer date
- Letters are posted second class to all parents who applied on time by Monday 31 October 2016. Email notifications are also sent out to those who applied online and requested confirmation by email.
2 March to 31 March 2017
- Places declined by parents are re-allocated to children currently waiting on the school reserve lists.
13 April 2017 - Appeal deadline
- Deadline for parents to submit an appeal if they wish their appeal to be heard by 16 June 2017.
24 April 2017 - Second offer date
For applications received between 1 November 2016 and 31 March 2017.
April 2017 onwards - Secondary appeals
- Secondary admission appeals take place.
- Your child starts secondary school.
Supplementary Information Forms (SIFs)
If you are applying to St Bede’s Inter Church School for religious reasons you will need to submit an appropriate Supplementary Information Form (SIF) to the school by the deadline.
You should also submit your application form for a place at the school to Cambridgeshire County Council’s School Admissions Team by Monday 31 October 2016 in the normal way.
Special Educational Needs
If your child has had extra support in their school, but does not have a Statement of Special Educational Needs / Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), you will need to follow the secondary school admissions process. This is also the case if your child is undergoing assessment.
If your child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs / Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), your Casework Officer from the Statutory Assessment and Resources Team (START) will contact you to explain the application process for your child.
For more information, view our pages on Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (Local Offer).
Applying for other Admission Rounds
For all other applications outside of the usual admission rounds, including admissions from abroad, please see our information on in-year applications.
Email: [email protected]
Telephone: 0345 045 1370
Fax: 01223 727 941