Skip to main content

Dropped kerbs and access protection markings

Dropped kerbs

A dropped kerb provides access from the public highway for up to eight domestic properties under Section 184 of The Highways Act 1980.

In order to have a dropped kerb installed to access the public highway, you must seek consent from the County Council. This consent is to ensure that any proposed crossing does not present a safety hazard to other users of the highway and to ensure that all works are carried out to the appropriate construction standards.

If you would like to apply for a new dropped kerb or extend an existing dropped kerb, you must first check whether the road is public highway maintained by Cambridgeshire County Council. Please see our map of all our maintained roads below to double check the status of your road. We will only assess dropped kerb applications on roads we maintain.

This form shouldn’t be used for temporary vehicle accesses, for example to construction sites. In these cases, a Short Form Section 278 form should be used instead. Visit our Highways development page for further information and how to apply.

If Cambridgeshire County Council does maintain your road, planning permission may be required from your local District Council depending on the classification of the road:

For properties on classified roads (i.e. 'A', 'B', or 'C' roads) - before applying to the County Council for a dropped kerb, you must first contact your relevant Local Planning Authority (Cambridge City Council or District Council) to assess whether planning permission from them is required. Please note that some Local Planning Authorities will charge for this. Once this has been done and any permission granted by the Local Planning Authority you may then apply to the County Council. Please note, you must comply with the relevant approved drawings for the vehicular access as listed by the Local Planning Authority and the granting of any dropped kerb does not supersede the Local Planning Authority’s requirements.

For properties on unclassified roads (e.g. Housing estates, etc) - you do not need permission from your relevant Local Planning Authority (Cambridge City Council or District Council) and you can apply directly to the County Council for a dropped kerb.

To apply for a dropped kerb, please use the online form below.

During the online application you will need to pay £190 by credit or debit card. This charge covers all of our inspection fees (no VAT to pay). 

If the proposed access is covered by an existing parking bay and if it is feasible to remove it, you will be responsible for meeting the cost of changes to the Traffic Regulation Order and removal of any signs/lines. An estimate of the costs will be provided by the Highways Officer and an invoice issued on completion of the works.

Once your application has been received, a Highways Officer will visit the site to ensure that it is safe and practical to construct the crossing. A Highways Officer will then be in contact with you to confirm whether your application has been successful.

If your application is successful, you will need to employ a contractor to carry out the work. You or your contractor should then complete the booking a road space application form before commencing any work.

You and your contractor should read and adhere to the procedure and specification for the construction of dropped kerbs as set out in the dropped kerb specification and procedure guidance.

If your application is unsuccessful you will receive a refund of £110. Refunds will be made by cheque.

Access protection markings

An access protection marking is a white line that marks the length of a dropped kerb. It helps to make drivers aware of an access point which must not be obstructed. It is also known as 'H' marking. 

During the online application you need to pay £120 by credit or debit card. If your application is unsuccessful you will receive a full refund.

After you have completed your application an officer will visit the site within two weeks to assess the location.

Blue Badge holders may be eligible to have an access protection marking installed at their property free of charge. Payment is required upon application, but this may be refunded depending on eligibility and available funds.